Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Brandon Roy couldn't be more ready

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Brandon Roy is nails and ice all rolled up into a 6-6 combo guard package. In fact, I think he might actually be exuding confidence, literally. If I can get a sample of B.Roy's sweat, I'm sending it to a lab for testing because whatever has gotten into that man needs to be harnessed for the betterment of mankind.

It sounds like gushing (and to a certain extent, I guess it is) but I can't think of a better way to describe the way Roy is carrying and conducting himself these days. He's like a Buddhist monk with a jump shot. Supreme confidence coupled with unflappable tranquility. He's just so ... ready.

"Honestly, I’m excited about tonight’s game," said Roy, "but this is the most relaxed I’ve been going into a big game in a long time. Last night I thought about (the season opener) but after that I talked to my parents and it was kind of in the back of my mind."

And even though I've got a suspicion that he might be a futuristic cyborg sent back through time to change the destiny of one NBA franchise, Roy's explanation as to how he's gained such self-assurance is bit more realistic.

"I just think it's experience and a sense that I’m prepared," said Roy. "I’ve done everything that I can up to this point and now I’m just trying to relax.

"I think the thing is, we have a good team. We have a team that can win. We just can’t get too excited about it or go out there and be nervous. We have to relax, and I feel like that’s what I’ve done. I feel confident. For the first time (the season opener) wasn’t on my mind really heavy last night. It was something I thought about and then it was like, alright, I can’t wait until the game."

Neither can we.

2 comments:

SabonisFan3386 said...

Some nights, when I can't sleep, I wonder where Brandon Roy came from, and why he's so good. I mean, he came outta nowhere! He was an above-average college player, sure, but not a star. Now he's an All-Star.

And how has he reached this level of play? I know he works hard, but so do a lot of other players, many of whom can't hold a candle to him. He's not freakishly athletic. He's not exceptionally tall for his position. He doesn't have Chris Paul-speed. Yet he finds a way to win his match-ups night-in-and-night-out, all the while raising his teammates' level of play. Tell me Casey, how does he do it?

JPound said...

What's intriguing is why Portland knew how special Roy was/is, but no other NBA team seemed to want Roy as badly.