Saturday, February 14, 2009

Rudy's main man Marc


Rudy Fernandez and Marc Gasol have been running with each other for a long time. Born just a little over three months apart, Fernandez and Gasol have been playing with or against each other for much of their lives. Safe to say, the "little" Gasol is more than familiar with Rudy's game.

So he might be one of the foremost authorities on the differences between Rudy the Trail Blazer and Rudy the Spanish National Team stalwart.

"Of course it’s different," says Gasol. "It’s not the same basketball; it’s not the same style. The national team we would probably go through more through him than they do now on the Portland Trail Blazers. It’s normal. He adjusted very good to that. He understood what he needs to do to be successful on that team. And he’s a great player."

As great of a player as Rudy is, Marc has a few bragging rights on his friend from Mallorca. Gasol has won an ACB MVP; Rudy hasn't. He's won an ACB championship; Rudy hasn't. So maybe Gasol has some sympathy for his friend when asked for embarrassing stories.

"I don't have any stories about Rudy," says Gasol with a sheepish grin. "And if I did, I couldn't tell you."

And as far as advice for the dunk contest, Marc is staying mum.

"I’m not a dunker," says Gasol, "so I’m not the best guy to ask"

And the rumor that his brother Pau is going to assist in Rudy's dunks?

"I don’t know. We’ll see. That’s a secret right?"

Not for long.

(Check out tons of video and podcasts from Phoenix on All-Star Central)

1 comment:

laieta coll said...

Both Rudy and Marc are great rookies. I admired tham a lot when they played in Spain and I still doing it.
I'm proud of them and of Pau as well.

Visca Catalunya!!!