Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Rudy wait is over


It's finally official. It has been alluded to many times that Rudy Fernandez would indeed sign on to play in Portland starting in '08-'09, but until there's a signature on the dotted line, nothing is for guaranteed.

Now it is.

On the first day new players were allowed to sign contracts, Spanish guard Rudy Fernandez, the 24th selection in the 2007 NBA Draft, agreed to terms with the Trail Blazers.

“I am so excited about joining the Trail Blazers and the NBA,” said Fernandez. “The whole staff did a tremendous job making me feel like a very important team member to them and made me forget about the economic issues because of the rookie scale.

“My dream has been to play in the NBA and Portland is giving me this opportunity. I was amazed about everything that Mr. Allen, Kevin Pritchard, Coach McMillan and the rest of the guys did to show me how much they wanted me. Brandon Roy, Greg Oden, LaMarcus Aldridge, I can't wait to play with them. We will do nice things!”

Nice things indeed.

Rodolfo, aka Rudy, will be wearing No. 5, the same number he wore with the Spanish National Team and DKV Joventut Badalona. If you're ready to declare your Rudy Ferandez fan-dom, you can already buy his adult jersey here and his youth jersey here. International shipping is available for all of you Spanish Fernandez fans.

9 comments:

NateDogg said...

HELL YEAH!

Unknown said...

YES!!!!

Casey Holdahl said...

NateDogg and The Hutz! What, no Roger?

blazercan said...

yeahh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but casey it was 24th not 22nd

Rockinflipi4life said...

YES!!!
Just for a fun fact, when we heard his name drafted we thought Blazers are drafting an old Filipino Actor, who passed away recently... while Portland gets a pretty sensational guy even from many analysts to make an impact next year.


Here is a list from ESPN of Top impact players next year, I found it kinda surprising that Rudy's, and Pau Gasol's Brother name tops Derrick Rose's... Not surprised about Oden's

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=thorpe_david&page=Rookies-080627



Some are taking crap about Batum on how his stats are not up to speed and he is not that good; although some sees him as a Rudy Gay type of player, I think we can trust KP because we developed Outlaw, and Webster and I think if KP sees something in this kid, he can turn to something special. He is still 19 years old...

blzrfn1 said...

Bienvenido a Portland Rudy!!
Vamos Blazers !!!

Will Wiens said...

Man this guy must be doing great right about now!!! He signed a contract with the up-and-coming Blazers and his home country just won the EURO Cup, pretty good. I get he is happy after that 44 year drought.
GO RUDY!!!

Anonymous said...

In a couple of years I can see the Roy/Bayless/Fernandez backcourt being absolutely devastating, pair that up with Aldridge, Oden, and a guy like Outlaw and the future is bright.

This team is still going to hit bumps in the road and will take time to come together, but on paper I can't imagine a better scenario.

BRoyFTW said...

I can honestly say I have never been more excited for a season to start as I am now. It just doesn't get any better than this. If just Oden was coming back that would be exhilarating. Then you though in Rudy (OMG the potential) and Bayless. This is off the charts...I'm so happy for the city, team, fans.

I wish Rudy would play in summer league but I guess the olympics is his farewell for now.